Fairfield University students may take part in an International Internship for credit in many of our locations abroad. This unique opportunity will allow the student to develop international knowledge, skills, and abilities for the working world. The Internship gives students:
- A chance to experience their chosen profession as it is conducted first-hand in another country,
- An understanding of a new culture and society,
- And in some cases, is an opportunity to improve one's ability to speak a foreign language.
There are different types of for-credit internship programs offered by Fairfield University:
1. AIFS Abroad International Internship Program: Global Fairfield partners with AIFS with both semester and summer internship opportunities. AIFS offers international internship placements between 8 weeks (summer) and 12 weeks (semester) in nearly every career field imaginable. With an intense focus on career development, AIFS utilizes its unique partnership with Gallup Education to offer the Clifton StrengthsFinder® to all participants. This career development program includes personalized coaching for each participant, group webinars, and professional document reviews, as well as on the ground workshops and networking events. A part-time internship opportunity with AIFS is an option during the semester at our Global Center and Select programs in Barcelona, Florence, London, Madrid and Sydney. Semester students complete 144 hours of internship over 12 weeks during the semester and earn 3 Fairfield University credits for their internship, which is part of the academic course load. LocationFlyer.pdf
2. Global Center Partner Program On-Site Internships: Offered through Fairfield University Global Center Partners in Aix-en-Provence, Athens, and Florence. These Global Center Partners have internship and SPEL opportunities within their custom curriculum. The internship opportunities are for credit and are usually more specialized toward the location, language and/or specialty of the university. Students work with the institution directly throughout the registration process to incorporate this unique opportunities into their semester course selection. Our approved provider, the Washington Internship Institute, offers two unique internship opportunities. One is a full-time/30 hour per week semester-long internship and academic opportunity. And the other is an 8-week, 9 credit summer internship option.
Students must complete all application and material submissions by the deadlines posted on the relevant Program Page. See links below for current programs.
Fairfield University Student Options
Non-Fairfield Student Options